Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a mother with a previous alcohol problem. I have

Customer Question
Hi, I am a...

Hi, I am a mother with a previous alcohol problem. I have finished breast feeding and turned back to my old ways, which never thought I would. I have no motivation, energy and turned back to this to give me some relief. I need to change this. I am on medication for depression and anxiety

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

I have been dealing with this problem for 10 years. But my alcoholism became worse when my mum dies unexpectedly. I have always been successful at work and functioning. I have been to detox twice.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

Yes. When I was a kid I always struggled, I am the youngest of 4 kids. I was excellent at sport so I wasn't a outcast and was always popular, but I struggled mentally. My mum knew this and we were very close as I grew up. She had a schizophrenia psychosis episode which ended in a mental ward. She came out of the ward and woke up one night and dropped dead

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/30/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about your alcohol use

are you willing to get into a alcohol abuse program

there are medications like naltrexone which can help decrease your cravings for alcohol

you should be seeing a psychiatrist to help treat your depression and anxiety symptoms.

many patients use alcohol to treat their anxiety and depression symptoms.