Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My left side tummy near the ribs to the breast is hurting.

Customer Question
My left side tummy...

My left side tummy near the ribs to the breast is hurting. radiating to my back bone as well. when i sleep, i can't sleep properly either sleep to the left or right. is just feel uncomfortable.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Back bone hurts sinc 2 weeks ago. but this pain since yeterday night. currently it doesnt seems to go away. nothing helps. im just using my breathing to control the pain. even if i go to the toilet it hurts.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I do have heart mumur when i was 4 years old but it dissappear when i was at the age of 12

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/30/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

that area below your left ribs is your stomach

which can hurt from excessive stomach acid

certain foods, alcohol, spicy foods, fried foods, tomato sauces can cause excessive stomach acid.

stomach acid reducers like zantac, prilosec, maalox, can help decrease stomach acid.

have you tried these yet?

But it radiating to my back and my left back as well. Surprisingly i didnt eat any spich for the past 24 hours. Please tell me something. It does really hurt.

yes, gastritis inflammation of the stomach can cause pain to radiate to the back as well

do you have any stomach acid reducing medications at home?

any baking soda? a 1/2 to 1 tsp in warm water can help decrease stomach acid.

It is more painful when i stand and walk then i sit..
Its very uncomfortable when i stand.

I see

it could be a pulled muscle

or inflammation of the rib like costocondritis.

have you tried any tylenol or advil or ibuprofen to see if it helps with the pain?

ice packs and heating pads could help with the pain.