Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been told that i have a bad smell about me, not sure…

Customer Question
I have been told...

I have been told that i have a bad smell about me, not sure what kind of smell people just say i smell bad. my room stinks too. just wondering shat kind of doctor i need to see about this issue

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Just smell bad

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No generally a healthy person

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
11/30/2017
Doctor: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Hello!

My name is***** to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks

Are you saying, that people complaint you for bad smell from your body?

Age and gender?

Any other health or medical problems ?

Waiting for your reply…

Thanks

people say I smell bad and my room stinks. I am 28 and I think the first complaint was when I was 15. I'm male.I use anti bacterial soap strong deoderant and take zinc. But I think it has to be something else. I wash my clothes regularly and wash my bath towel regularly
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 6 months ago

You may consult a dermatologist.

The body odor or smell in sweat is due to the bacteria on the skin surface. When they mix with the sweat, a substance is produced which has odor.

Read this resource about the body odor;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sweating-and-body-odor/DS00305/DSECTION=causes

The common reason for the causative of the body odor are;

1) Hormonal; thyroid, adrenal should be investigated.

2) Any herbs, supplements, medicine should be ruled out.

3) Dietary factors can be responsible. Change of the diet specifically avoiding onions and garlics should be tried.

4) Arm pits and groin should be looked for the hyperhidrosis / excessive sweating.

The excessive odor that characterizes bromhidrosis may result from alteration of either apocrine or eccrine sweat. Apocrine bromhidrosis develops as a result of the formation of short-chain fatty acids and ammonia by the action of anaerobic diphtheroids on axillary (arm pit) apocrine sweat. Eccrine bromhidrosis is caused by microbiologic degradation of stratum corneum (skin layer) that has become softened by excessive eccrine sweat.

Treatments that may be helpful include cleansing with germicidal soaps, topical clindamycin or erythromycin, or topical application of aluminum, zirconium, or zinc salts.

Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating), warm weather, obesity, and diabetes mellitus are predisposing factors. The hormones (thyroid and adrenal dysfunctions) cause sweat gland in the skin to increase in size and they respond excessively to body's hormones (increased cholinergic sympathetic stimulation of the sweat glands in the axilla/armpits or groins).

Following treatment protocol may help;

1) dietary restriction of coffee, tea, cola soft drinks, and chocolate.

2) application of aluminum chloride hexahydrate or zirconyl chloride in absolute alcohol

3) iontophoresis, done by dermatologists in their office

4) medications like atropine, propranolol

5) Botox injection

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl