Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Last night I ate 1 qt. of ice cream. I went to bed and woke…

Customer Question
Last night I ate...

Last night I ate 1 qt. of ice cream. I went to bed and woke up with severe leg muscle contraction. I was paralyzed for 10 minutes. Im in very good physical shape. Im 62. Ive been reading on too much calcium.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling. Its only happen once. I called 911

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Im a recovering alcoholic. My kidney function was just tested

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/30/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about your leg contractions

eating a lot of ice cream can cause your blood glucose levels to go up very high

this can cause your muscles to cramp up.

what did the EMT do for you? did you go to the hospital

or did you just stay at your home?

I stayed at home, the EMTs thought maybe not enough H2O and low potassium. I dont drink a lot of water due to prostate problems which I am getting surgery for this Dec. 28th. I have noticed if I eat too much sugar on my cereal I get a little down and lethargic for 1/2 hour. I knew it had to be something besides what the emts said, although I didnt tell them about the ice cream. Thank you. Last night I was fine. Bless you! merry CHRISTmas!

yes, dehydration and low potassium can cause muscle cramps. work on drinking more water

and eating more fruits and vegetables which contain potassium

that is good you were ok last night

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com