Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

If your sitting up and take your blood pressure and it shows…

Customer Question
If your sitting up...

If your sitting up and take your blood pressure and it shows it really high, and then you take it laying down and it shows it's almost normal...what is reason

Doctor's Assistant: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?

It's my son and it has been about 9 months since his last checkup. High BP runs in the family. He takes 40 mgs of Lisinipril daily

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He has been doing fine up until about a week ago

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/29/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

if you take your blood pressure too quickly after changing body position, you can often get a false blood pressure

when you go from laying down to sitting or standing right away, your blood pressure right away will drop before your body's automatic heart rate and blood vessle pressure will compress to get blood flowing to your brain.

you have to wait usually about 3-5 minutes after body position adjustment to get your blood pressure to get a more accurate reading

let me know if you have questions.

ok

did you see my response above?

do you have other questions?