Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Last Wed I had emergency open reduction internal fixation…

Customer Question
Last Wed I had...

Last Wed I had emergency open reduction internal fixation left patella. I was instructed to see the surgeon within two weeks. When I called to make the appointment, I was told the next available date was Dec 21. I am in a lot of pain with no other follow up plan. I called the surgeons office today to try to get some direction and was told that It was up to me to set up physical therapy. When I asked for physical therapy instructions, they told me to find a therapist and then call them back with this fax number. Is it okay to start physical therapy before a follow up visit? Is it okay to start physical therapy when I have all these staples in my knee. Is it okay to have the staples stay in for over five weeks from the date of surgery? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Lots is swelling. Very hard to put any pressure on my foot. Not sure what my knee should look like one week out. I also have a lot of bruising that is very painful and hot to the touch.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have high blood pressure that I take meds for. Not sure what other info is needed to put me in the right direction. I am currently pretty much stuck in my bed at this point.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/29/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

boy, it sure sounds like these surgeons are not giving you a lot of direction.

I am sorry you are in such pain.

do you have pain pills to take

are you icing your knee after the surgery with a bag of ice and ice pack? this can help decrease pain and infalmmation

yes, you can start physical therapy at this point.

you should ice your knee before and after physical therapy.

it is ok to have the staples in

they can remove them on your 12/21 appointment

let me know if you have questions.

i am doing ice 20 minutes on and off. Yes to pain meds. How can i bw sure that the oncision looks okay if I dont know what to look for? Why are the bruises so hot and painful? How can i help myself put some weight on this leg each day when the pain is so bad?

do you want to upload a clear jpg photo of your knee and surgical incision here?

I would be happy to look at it.

Should I keep a conpression dressing on it or let it get air?

if it is not oozing fluid, you don't need a compression dressing.

I am afraid that when I try to stand if I dont have support the staples might come out. They already feel like they are pulling. I was told to always keep my knee straight - no bending at alk.

you want to bend.

you need to slowly break up scar tissue in the knee

if the staples come out, they come out.

slowly start to bend your knee slowly to improve range of motion.

they will want you to do this for PT as well.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com