Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had been taking Doxycycline for approximately 3 days when…

Good Morning. I...

Good Morning. I had been taking Doxycycline for approximately 3 days when I began experiencing tinnitus. I have not taken that medication since this Monday (11/27/17). Is it safe to begin taking Augmentin? If so, should I only take the Augmentin for the remaining 7 days?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I do not take any daily medications. I am allergic to Keflex--it causes me to have hives.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. I don't have any chronic health problems.

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/29/2017
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

Why were you prescribed the antibiotic? What symptoms did you have? Do you still continue to have symptoms?

I had a severe sore throat and cough. I was diagnosed with a bacterial infection. I no longer have the sore throat but still have the cough.

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

For a permanent cure and eradication of the infection, you can safely take Augmentin now and you should take it for 7 days. This will be effective in curing the bacterial infection. Taking it now will not lead to any interaction with the doxycycline.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor