Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have bad smelling discharge coming from my vagina, it is…

Customer Question
Hi, I have bad...

Hi, I have bad smelling discharge coming from my vagina, it is often thick and a white/creamy colour. Any idea on what it could be? It also makes it smell really bad when having sex with my boyfriend

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the issue? Are you in any pain?

I'm not in any pain, I'm not sure how long, maybe 12 months, I've sort of ignored it but it's really starting to annoy me

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/29/2017
Doctor: Dr.Anil, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

I understand your concern.

As such the white discharge you describe with foul odour can be a sign of infection.It can be either due to bacterial vaginosis or yeast infection.

High Vaginal Swab (HVS) is a technique used in Gynecology to obtain a sample of discharge from the vagina. This is then sent for culture and sensitivity. It is commonly used to test for the presence of candidiasis infection, bacterial vaginosis and trichomonas vaginalis.

The line of treatment will depend on what’s causing the problem.

For example, yeast infections are usually treated with antifungal medications inserted into the vagina in cream or gel form.

Bacterial vaginosis is treated with antibiotic pills.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s request to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.