Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’m curious about gentian violet topical cream salve

Customer Question
Hi I’m curious about...

Hi I’m curious about gentian violet topical cream salve ointment liquid or spray to apply to skin. I live in Hawaii and surf swim etc all my life and now have small white spots that is some kind of sun and or water related fungus. The woman at the natural food store said someone had come into her department and mentioned gentian violet applied topically to stop fungus. Do you have any information concerning this product or something suitable that works for this condition? Thank you for your consideration

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

Since 1992 when I lived in Australia for a few years. I started swimming in the ocean with mom in 1947 year of my birth and grew up in the islands here in Hawaii and never had this problem before I was 45 and living in Australia and it persisted when I moved back home to Hawaii. My nails are in good shape though a couple of my baby toes the first and second on each foot can be a little dry with little ridges which came up around 1996 at 49. Other than the white spots on my skin that get dry after swimming in the ocean or just sun exposure and have spread since 1993 and enlarged somewhat there isn’t much normal aging change to my skin.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

In 2004 I had FCU chemotherapy and radiation for 6 weeks the maximum after a stage 2 tumor was surgically removed for colorectal cancer stage 2 - gee it’s been so long it may have been squamous cell. I have an moderate plus allergy to wheat or gluten and somewhat for eggs and a bit of one for cashews. I was in the best of possible health from 2005 to 2008 when I was in a food program called food addicts anonymous no sugar flour wheat or refined products no caffeine weighed and measured meals everything was fresh no cans or boxes only whole grains etc

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
11/29/2017
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Gentian violet is a purple colored antiseptic solution that was used instead of betadine a century or so back, but then gained popularity in the operation room not for its antiseptic properties but because of its color and is used nowadays as a dye to inject in to sinus tracts and to mark incisions.

While gentian violet has antiseptic properties, it is not used anymore for these properties since many other more potent and safe antiseptic solutions are available. Gentian violet might also leave a permanent stain or tattoo on your skin. Plus it does not have any effects against fungal infections.

I would suggest that you get OTC antifungal ointment like clotrimazole rather than using gentian violet.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor