Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Ingesting probiotics if stomach acid destroys them and if…

Customer Question
ingesting probiotics if stomach acid...
ingesting probiotics if stomach acid destroys them and if pills are a choking hazard for an elderly person? What works for elderly recovering? Taking them in a prebiotic prunes contributes to feeding candida and bad bacteria doesn't it? Causing dysbiosis and feeding bad bacteria?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
11/28/2017
Doctor: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.comThis is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.
I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.
Thank you for your patience.
Answers here are for education and information only
There are some liquid forms of probiotics available that would be less of a choking hazard that the pill forms
To prevent dysbiosis, it’s important to take a higher dose probiotic.i usually recommend a probiotic with 5 to 10 billion cell colony count
Reducing excess sugar intake is also important to reduce yeast/candida overgrowth.
Well, i presently give 50 billion in the morning and at night but i am thinking that adding them into water is doing nothing. Are you referring to liquid from kombucha and saurkraut juice or KVASS.... DO you mean stuff like that? Or Kefir ? We are starved of sugar.. a rare piece of dark chocolate . Began fruits.,,, It seems my mom has pain in the lower bowels so i want something effective and to know what most likely caused the pain. After a BM, the pain is gone i think
Is she likes the taste of kombucha, that would be an option. with kefir, you have to beware of the ones with added sugar, so look for plain flavored. Other fermented foods also can help as well.
Also would look at food elimination diets like the FODMAP diet to see if certain foods are causing her symptoms.Would be difficult to give you an exact cause of her pain without a detail exam and history, aomwoukd defer that to her primary doctor
I don't think he understands much about this. What liquid probiotic were you referring to. Any ideas on how to take the kombucha or what other products and how much?

Barleans sells a liquid probiotic that you can find in the refrigerated section of some health food stores.

There are also chewable (gummy) probiotics as well.

Or would recommend 8 ounces of the kombucha or kefir daily.

Can you tell me some signs that identify if there is dysbiosis? How do I know if the probiotics aren’t causing a histamine reaction. I’ve skimmed that somewhere ....
How do I know if kombucha or kefir or sauerkraut or olives and other properly cultured foods or even some liquid probiotic will have probiotics to survive stomach acid?
That’s why higher dose of probiotics is needed, to ensure some gets thru stomach and into intestines.Most fermented foods have higher concentration of probiotics than the pills, so fermented foods is usually what I recommend.Also need to be taking with prebiotic as well
Histamine reactions from probiotics are extremely rare. Dysbiosis also is usually due to poor diet
Which probiotics have a better chance to survive the stomach and digestion process?
The ones that grew and colonized and permeated the fibers of foodstuff like the yogurt the olives, sauerkraut, kombucha or the probiotic capsule ? And how in the world does a probiotic bacteria survive in a thin liquid like kombucha?

food-sourced probiotics would be preferred since they already have the probiotics with them to help with repopulation.

Bacteria can easily live in liquid, air or other mediums.

food-sourced probiotics would be preferred since they already have the probiotics with them to help with repopulation.Did you mean they already have the PRE-BIOTICS with them to help with repopulation.?And how would probiotic bacteria in a liquid base survive stomach acid if each molecule is tiny and there’s acid everywhere once the probiotic drink gets into the stomach

yes- should be prebiotics - autocorrect was changing it to probiotics.

Gut bacteria like lactobacillus have evolved to survive the stomach acid while other bacteria cannot, which is why lactobacillus and other bacteria are able to populate the gut.

Some bacteria can even survive without oxygen as well

Are you experienced with enhancing and improving digestion of your patients or in some capacity to elderly people?
But I would recommend opening a different question on that topic
I am not sure what my question would be for a new topic. Let me think it out but in the meantime, have you resolved digestion issues which created regularity with bowel movements WITHOUT using miralax or laxatives?
Also; you mentioned above that dysbiosis is caused by poor diet. I have to say that my parents had pretty good diets which were Mediterranean based. Lots of lentils and stews of mixed veggies, tomatoes, olives, imported parmesan cheese which is raw ... salads and vinegar olive oil,,, My mom was a big raw vegetable eater and for a time was vegan,,,,
YOu also mentioned 8 oz of Kombucha.... So if a person has 8 oz of Kombucha during the course of a day, lets say 2 oz with every meal or between meals? Does that provide enough dose of probiotics for the day or more is needed?
ALso, i bought some prunes that supposedly have probiotics inside of them... And on the package it states that the probiotics have a better chance of getting into the body than supplements or something like that on the package. Why is this so?
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Seems that Dr. John has very accurately addressed most of the questions you have asked. I see some new ones that you posted that I'm happy to address.

1. Yes, digestion issues can be resolved without miralax or laxatives
  2. 2 oz a day of kombucha would provide adequate dose of probiotics
  3. anytime probiotics are introduced with organic material such as foods then they have a better chance of resisting normal intestinal breakdown of the bacteria
Dr MO, i want to rate the previous dr and give him a bonus... This is confusing
I was merely trying to find out about his experience with gut and digestion so that i can post another question regarding this issue and then i was going to rate him.
Rate him on the current question i was closing out.

Sure, I understand. I believe Dr. John has opted out but I believe however you rate this question he would still get the payment and rating so I hope that he provided you with a 5-star service.

Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding this.
Otherwise I hope we provided you with a 5-star service.

Please click on rating when ready which will allow us to get paid.

You can always return to this question to post follow up questions.

Dr. Mo

I am contacting the customer service to find out if he will get compensated because i was just clarifying parts of the original question. or it seemed that way.

Glad that we could address all your questions.

Please be sure to click the rating when you're ready.

Dr. Mo

I spoke with customer service who said the first expert will not get compensated because he opted out. THey are contacting him to opt in again so i just need to rate him before those extra questions were asked and then i will post them into a new question. I feel it is unfair to give a bonus and it does not go to him. I am sorry for being sloppy about this. It is hard to juggle my messages throughout the day but such a great service to have with Justanswer. In the meantime, what is the extent of your experience with restoring digestive strength and identifying deficits so i know what your skills are for when i have particular questions.

On my end I'm able to transfer the question and the proceeds back to Dr. John. Hopefully your method will work and he can opt into the question. Feel free to post any new questions you have or any direct questions you have for me separately so we can keep it fair that every expert is compensated.

I'll opt out to let Dr. John opt into the question now.

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD