Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Can osteomyelitis appear to be a matastisized are on an

Customer Question
Can osteomyelitis appear...

Can osteomyelitis appear to be a matastisized are on an x-ray?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No, I have had a 2 centimeter growth on my lumbar spine for over a year. It began 4 years ago and has grown. Last week, the left hip bone became involved. With the original x-ray 4 years ago and 1 year ago, the lesions appeared to be a metastasized area. The x-ray with the hip, the same thing. I have had c-scans, MRI, and two biopsies. NO malignant tumors nor blood work etc. indicates cancer anywhere. Apparently, the second biopsy with cultures was limited; they tested for only the "usual" infections that cause osteomyelitis. I was told, I should have a third biopsy to check for other infections. In the meantime, the only treatment I have received for 4 years is a variety of pain pills. A doctor I saw yesterday had me do another blood test. He is checking and will start treatment for Pagets Disease. This is the first "treatment" of any kind, no antibiotics, steroids, etc. The inability to get a diagnosis has not allowed me to get any treatment except for pain pills for the pain. I rarely used them until the growth started on the hip bone last week. Norco is now the prescribed medication; obviously I can't be on it the rest of my life. I am 66 years old.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes, and I am on a system where I have access to all of my records.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have an enlarged pituitary gland which was diagnosed as a tumor 30 years ago. I second and third diagnosis said it was not a tumor, I just have a larger gland than most. I have regular MRIs to check for growth and there has been none. One MRI did show a meningioma but the doctor didn't seem concerned.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/28/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I'm glad you have had some biopsies to try to look for problems

the biopsies would have shown cancer in the bones.

pagets disease can look like bone metastasis on xrays

what is best to look at bones is a CT scans, MRI scans and bone biopsies.

osteomyelitis would tend to cause increased inflammatory markers like elevated WBC counts, elevated ESR and platelet counts.

bone biopsies would find puss and WBC cells in the bones if you had osteomyelitis.

it would be unlikely to have osteomyelitis spread in several bones

pagets disease can affect several bones and can elevated up alk phos levels.

let me know if you have questions.