Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I got a rattle snake bite on 11/11. was in the ER/ICU for…

Customer Question
I got a rattle...

I got a rattle snake bite on 11/11. was in the ER/ICU for close to 36 hrs. was given according to my quarter of a million dollar bill that I had 19 doses of anti venom, followed by each dose a blood test. was discharged and have been doing blood draws as ordered by the poison control center here in Tucson. had one done yesterday. my doctor's receptionist phoned me and told me that my FFP value was over 40, normal value being 10 or below. what does this mean ?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

I had thought just clotting factors, but hang on a sec i have a copy of the lab order

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Orders read PT/INR, PTT, CBC with diff,fibrinogen, fibrin degradation (split ) products. now the posion control phoned and told me that it was the FFSP factor that they are concerned about. again above 40, but my tests are improving but slightly under normal limits.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/28/2017
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Do you have a level from the ER?

nope but can get it when I get my next lab draw on Thursday per poison control center request. and then I can give you all values. according to both the poison control and my doctor's office my FFSP is 4 times higher than normal values. but was told that it could be from the 20 vials (I believe that's what my hospital bill charged me for) and that a lot of rattle snake bite victims do have an increase in FFSP or fibrinogen after being treated. there was nothing mentioned to me upon my discharge about this issue, and if these numbers or values are exceedingly high why wouldn't it be addressed. so i'm just going to start a routine baby aspirin daily until I get back to the doctor next month. any other ideas, or suggestions I can do prior to seeing my PA?

No, this is correct advice

the value is going to be off from the bite and the anti venom

That being said, it should be trending in the right direction

so it should be improving over time

if you are feeling fine then I am ok with monitoring as you are

is this helpful?