Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Um last night my girlfriend was sleep then she coughed a lot…

Customer Question
Um last night my...

Um last night my girlfriend was sleep then she coughed a lot and stopped breathing for about 5 tp 10 seconds i just need to know how to prevent and what to do if it happens again my doctor said it's due to phlegm

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

About 4 days and when she breaths its a little weezy

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She has asthma but is on a ventaline

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
11/28/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 4 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about your girlfriend.

what is her height and weight? if she is overweight, this can lead to apenic episodes of cough and no breathing for periods of time.

she may benefit from a sleep study.

you should try to roll her onto her side which could help her breath easier at night time

if she is overweight, loosing weight can help her breath better

sleep study could find sleep apnea which can be helped with a CPAP mask

medications like mucinex can help decrease the amount of phlegm in the lungs and could help her breath better

let me know if you have questions.

She's 5 ft 11 around 80 to 85 kg and yeah when she was asleep she was on her side

I see.

she would benefit from a sleep study from her doctor to check for episodes of apnea and not breathing during her sleep

if she has these episodes, she may need a CPAP machine.

she should work on regular exercise and weight loss.

she can try mucinex as well which is over the counter or robitussin which can help break up mucus in her lungs

I hope she doesn't smoke

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician