Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've been taking Effexor for 6 years, now my dose is 150,

Customer Question
I've been taking Effexor for...
I've been taking Effexor for 6 years, now my dose is 150, two weeks ago I got pancreatitis, I do not drink alcohol, I have no problems with bitterness.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/28/2017
Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

What is your concern regarding this?

What causes the pancreatitis?
If im no drink alcohol and I don’t have gallstones

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

There are numerous causes of pancreatitis. Alcohol and gallstones are the most common causes. There are a few case reports of Effexor being the cause of the pancreatitis. Sometimes an increase in the calcium level or triglyceride level can be the cause. You should have your calcium and triglyceride level checked. There are other causes as well such as anatomic abnormalities, immune-related, post-surgical, and hereditary but these are not relevant to your situation.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

The analysis of liver enzymes is good, have I continued on Effexor, the therapist told me to continue with the psychiatrist on this

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Effexor may or may not be responsible for your pancreatitis. Since you are taking it for 6 years there is a less likelihood of it being the cause of the pancreatitis. Your psychiatrist will, therefore, most likely ask you to continue with it. I would recommend getting your cholesterol levels also checked to rule out an increase in triglyceride level to be the cause.

Take care.

Thank you!

Dear customer,
Were you able to read my answer?
Did I answer your question? Please reply.
Thank you!

Hi doctor
Are you psychiatrist?
The medicine doctor said talk with psychiatrist
About your drug (effexor)
Maybe this drug causes pancreatitis

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

I have worked under many psychiatrists. I am a general practitioner and experienced in medications such as Effexor. As I have mentioned this drug has caused pancreatitis in a few individuals. If no other cause is recognized in your case then Effexor is likely to have caused pancreatitis.

Take care.

Thank you!

Dear customer,

Thank you!