Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I would like to have an opinion on why my grandmother has…

Customer Question
Hello, I would like...

Hello, I would like to have an opinion on why my grandmother has not been able to eat in months. She has a very bad sour/metallic taste in her mouth and has lost a very unhealthy amount of weight. This has been going on the past few months and she continues to rapidly lose weight.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?

It is not from her tooth, no swelling. She has very bad chest and stomach pain and very bad acid reflux

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She has a haital hernia, as well. She has been to multiple doctors. They said they have to do an edoscopy to figure it out but I’d like to know if anyone has any other ideas

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/28/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about your grand mother

what medications is she taking?

she could be having bad stomach acid reflux up her esophagus and causing inflammation and sour taste in the back of her mouth.

she may need stomach acid reducing medications to help decrease stomach acid

medications like prilosec (omeprazole) or zantac (ranitidine) could help decrease stomach acid.

she may benefit from sleeping sitting up to help keep stomach acid down in her stomach

let me know if you have questions.