Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am 85 yrs old and I do alot of sweating during the day and…

Customer Question
I am 85 yrs...

I am 85 yrs old and I do alot of sweating during the day and night. what is causing it

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No nothing

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My back itches off and on and I have been to the dr for that

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?

I have been to the dermatgolist for it and ended getting something for the itch

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/28/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 5 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Since when is the excessive sweating?

Were you investigated for it?

no thats why i am asking you

Thanks. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Excessive sweating is called hyperhidrosis.

Several common medications occasionally produce hyperhidrosis. These are;

1) tricyclic and serotonin reuptake inhibitors,

2) opioid analgesics,

3) acyclovir,

4) naproxen.

Hyperhidrosis need investigations for following:

1) pheochromocytoma, Adrenal gland disease.

2) thyrotoxicosis, thyroid disease.

3) diabetes mellitus,

4) diabetes insipidus,

5) hypopituitarism,

6) anxiety,

7) carcinoid syndrome.

Night time (Nocturnal) excessive sweating need investigations for;

1) tuberculosis,

2) lymphoma,

3) endocarditis,

4) diabetes,

5) acromegaly,

6) Prinzmetal angina.

Management of hyperhidrosis in these cases requires treatment of the underlying disease.

Is this helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 4 months ago

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor