Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband has been experiencing left sided abdominal pain…

Customer Question
My husband has been...

My husband has been experiencing left sided abdominal pain for about 2 weeks, tonight he has started running a fever 100.4 , 10 minutes ago. I think I should bring him to the ER, he does not want to go.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

He has had it for2-3 weeks, says better after Tylenol. WHen the pain disappears, a few minutes later he has a bowel movement, usually diarrhea.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He had his appendix removed 2 years ago, bx. Showed mutinous carcinoma, Surgeon said they got it all, he was 6 months clean last checked. CAD with stent, Htn.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/28/2017
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to hear about the situation your husband is in.

However, going to the ER is more of a personal choice. People show up at ERs with stress headaches as well. But then they have to wait in the waiting room for hours before a physician sees them. If you think he has excruciating pain refractory to pain medication or tylenol and a high grade fever with chills and rigors or nausea, vomiting, dehydration, diarrhea more than 10 episodes per day or absolute constipation for more then 48 hours, then an ER visit is warranted because in the event he is labelled as non urgent in the ER, he will have to sit there in the waiting room to be seen, which is a painful experience in itself.

Otherwise, scheduling an appointment with his PCP tomorrow will be a better idea.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!