Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Do I have mental illness? Usually I sleep well, but

Customer Question
Do I have mental...

Do I have mental illness?

Doctor's Assistant: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?

Usually I sleep well, but sometimes it's a sleepless night or two, want to cut down on that.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/28/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

What symptoms are you having that makes you question whether you have a mental illness?

I called in today at work, and I hate doing that, but I felt the quality of my sleep was so poor that I should get extra zzzz's, as I was up all night. I feel agitated a little. My parents are both gone, and I didn't get the move up on life common to my ilk. So I just wanted a confidence builder and to get off any agitation. I'm such a hard worker that I feel terrible about taking day off, yet the project only started August 28 and I've called in 3 times. Hopefully that's not too much, what do you say?

There are many possible causes of poor sleep. Certainly, there are some mental illnesses that can cause poor sleep, and depression is one of the common causes. If you recently lost your parents, then it may be that you are having normal grieving, which is common after loss of a loved one and is not considered a mental illness. However, if someone feels sad and has a low mood for a long period of time after the loss or if it is more severe, then it may be considered clinical depression and would be considered a mental illness.

The fact that you called in today and have done so three times since August is not indicative of a mental illness. A small amount of agitation also would not be a sign of mental illness. So, the information that you have provided thus far does not indicate a mental illness.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

When my Mom died, there was this big grievance, that hasn't been fixed yet, in my life. There are issues that I don't know about thus so that would disturb. As part of such disturbance, I was afforded a definition of mental illness as a harm to one's self or to someone else, and I don't believe I've tried to harm myself with intentionality, at all. A harm to someone else is out as far as I'm concerned. I just want a confidence builder, to go to bed, have a good night's sleep, wake up enthused, and have my day go right. Just so, I appreciate certainty and reliability in my life that can be retrieved somehow.

The vast majority of people with mental illness do not pose a risk of harm to themselves or others, although it is true that a minority of patients pose a risk of harm to themselves or others. The severity of the sadness and low mood is sufficient to consider the diagnosis, even if there is no risk of harm. The assessment for the diagnosis of clinical depression would also consider other associated symptoms, including difficulty sleeping.

When the diagnosis of mental illness was made, which mental illness was diagnosed? Were you diagnosed with clinical depression?

We went with PTSD as my ex manager created problems for me that were yet to be fixed further, and the legal community here hasn't worked on the original issue to my growth and satisfaction. Calling in is unreliable on the employment factor.

You have not yet described symptoms that would indicate a diagnosis of PTSD. Agitation and sleep difficulty can be associated with PTSD, but there usually would be other symptoms present. Were you having other symptoms when the diagnosis was made?

It might not sound like a problem to you, but the ex-manager of mine placed me in credit hostage, which for me is untenable to employment and the work that I do. He wouldn't desist until he was told to by the state, and during that time, my mother died and some other trouble that was not handled by my rights, just so.

I am not saying that the ex-manager did not create problems for you. I am saying that having an ex-manager creating problems that have not yet been fixed is not a criteria for the diagnosis of PTSD. PTSD follows an adverse incident, but the diagnosis of PTSD is based on how the incident has affected you, not the incident, itself. So, when I ask whether you were having other symptoms, I am referring what symptoms this has caused in you.

sleep, agitation, weight gain, cholesterol higher, diabetic foray, wanted to move my life on to life giver stature.

You said above that you were having a little agitation. Could you describe your agitation in more detail? How does it manifest itself? What brings it on? What can you do to relieve it?

nervous a little.

If you are only having a little nervousness, then that also would typically not be considered PTSD.