Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What are the elements of the blood results to determine the…

Customer Question
What are the elements...

What are the elements of the blood results to determine the need for dialysis? Creatinine and Bun.

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

I have lupus erythematosus but its in remission, I have anemia and currently on price it.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Procrit

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

BUN and creatine are common blood tests to get a quick idea of how the kidneys may be doing.

from these, an estimatedGFR or eGFR can be estimated from age, sex, race, and creatinine levels

but to get a true GFR and true creatinine clearance level, you need a 24 hour urine collection where all of your urine is collected over a 24 hour period and the doctors calculate your true GFR based on that and your age and weight and sex.

this true GFR and true creatinine clearance after a 24 hour urine collection is the way to tell how well your kidneys are functioning

and if you need dialysis or not

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com