Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Sunday evening I had super sharp lower left abdominal pain.

Customer Question
Sunday evening I had...

Sunday evening I had super sharp lower left abdominal pain. in the morning, my stool was asphalt black and tarry. I always have pain at my sternum and my lower left back is sore

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I do take 150 mg if venlafaxine but have taken them for awhile. the sharp pain has occurred many times before and was told that was painful ovulation. that pain is so bad that i double over

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

thank you

Black and tarry stool is a sign of upper GI bleed. The pain could be due to the ovulation but the black and tarry stool is most likely the result of an upper GI pathology.

Upper GI conditions do not present with lower left abdominal pain. So, it can be a coincidence that the pain and the bleeding occurred together.

Having said that, now that you have had an episode of black and tarry stool also known as Melena, you should schedule an appointment with your PCP and have this evaluated in more detail.

A stool analysis, an ultrasound of the abdomen and referral to the Gastroenterologist is warranted.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

i don't know if this helps but, i always have a rash at top of my neck. its super itchy and gets crusty and then starts all over again. it doesn't hurt but, i have had shingles on my right lower back. i know what that feels like. my exposed skin always has a red, welty reaction to wind and cold.

Thanks for the reply.

The rash sounds like an eczema which is a skin condition and you need to see a dermatologist for that to confirm the diagnosis and it does not seem to be related to abdominal issue.