Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What does nodules on the heart mean and fluid. No my son is…

Customer Question
What does nodules on...

What does nodules on the heart mean and fluid

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

No my son is 28 yrs old he is weak hair falling out just left the hospital and thats what they said he also vomits alot

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Heart didease does run in my family i dont understand why they sent him home

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/27/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant and I will do my best to help you today.

Nodules on the heart can be due to Sarcoidosis (a condition in which there is formation of tiny nodules of inflammatory tissue in various organs of body like lungs, eyes, liver, spleen or heart).

Nodules can also be due to other conditions like Tuberculosis; or a cancer.

these nudules are on his heart and fluid around the heart

Now given the history that he has nodules on the heart, the resultant formation or accumulation of fluid around the heart is called Pericardial Effusion; and this can happen with the conditions causing nodules as I described above.

The treatment depends upon the underlying cause, for example if this is from tuberculosis then anti-tuberculosis drugs will help.

For sarcoidosis steroids may be given.

At the same time if the fluid around heart is causing significant symptoms like heart failure, chest pain or shortness of breath, then the doctors may also elect to remove the fluid therapeutically

For you to know this further, better get hold of his medical evaluation from the hospital so that you know the exact diagnosis, which will clarify the queries you have regarding further and long term management plan.

From the information you gave, I have given the best inference that can be drawn.

Was it helpful?

Let me know if you have any further queries/clarifications?

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to give 5 Star Rating to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.