Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a strept and staph infection in my finger. I have…

Customer Question
I have a strept...

I have a strept and staph infection in my finger. I have been on mega doses of five different antibiotics and with no help. Dr wants me to have iv antibiotics, will this require me to be in the hospital?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Severe finger infection

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/27/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 7 months ago

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

No this doesn't require hospitalization

There are two ways to do it--

Visit the hospital on a regular basis to get the antibiotic infusions

Or, with the placement of a PICC line--a permanent IV catheter--you can give the infusions to yourself at home

Please let me know if you need any more information

How many times a day and for how long do you need to do it?

Depends on the antibiotic but usually twice a day for a month