Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a tingly feeling in my throat and can't stop

Customer Question
I have a tingly...

I have a tingly feeling in my throat and can't stop coughing

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

Sneezing, runny nose. been going on for 2 days now

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have asthma, was recently diagnosed with a chest infection. given steroids and anti biotics

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/27/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 5 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Your symptoms including cough are most likely due to the post nasal drip. It is also called as Chronic Upper Airway Cough Syndrome Secondary to Rhinosinus Diseases (Postnasal Drip Syndrome). The pathogenesis of this cough is mechanical stimulation of the cough reflex in the upper airway. The clinical presentation are combination of any of the following;

1) a sensation of something draining into the throat,

2) a need to clear the throat,

3) a tickle in the throat,

4) nasal congestion, or

5) a nasal discharge.

The treatment is;

1) nasal saline spray; do not need prescription for it.

2) nasal corticosteroids / nasal cromolyn / nasal antihistamines may also be needed,

3) oral leukotriene inhibitors and

4) oral antihistamines; you may try Claritin D which is over the counter

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 4 months ago

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor