Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I want to know if taking an increased amount of Potassium…

Customer Question
I want to...

I want to know if taking an increased amount of Potassium harms your body. Specifically I am taking a prescribed dose of 20 MEG but I continue to have leg cramps. So I have been taking a second tablet. I want to know if I can take 60 MEG up front.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No to allergic.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I had to have a potassium drip after I had my baby to releave myconstipation. I am usually constiipatedl

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 4 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

If your potassium levels were within the normal range; please stick to the prescribed dose.

Potassium high amount may cause cardiac issues like irregular heart rate.

Leg cramps can be multifactorial and potassium alone may not be the culprit.

The exact cause of cramps is not well understood, but there are some risk factors that are thought to contribute to this condition:

1) Muscle fatigue,

2) Heavy exercising,

3) Dehydration,

4) Over weight

5) Electrolyte imbalances,

6) Vitamin deficiency,

7) Age above 50.

The medical causes related to the disease process are;

1) Calcium and phosphorus imbalances can cause cramping.

2) Low potassium or sodium (salt) levels.

3) Deficiencies of a nutrient called hesperidin, an antioxidant flavonoid found in oranges and other citrus fruits, have also been linked to nocturnal leg cramps.

4) Overexertion, standing on concrete for long periods, or prolonged sitting (especially with the legs contorted) may contribute to nighttime cramps.

5) Having structural disorders in the legs or feet (such as flat feet) may increase the risk for cramps.

6) Among the many medical causes of muscle cramping include hypothyroidism, Addison's disease, uremia, hypoglycemia, anemia, and certain medications.

Electrolyte imbalances is generally considered the most common main cause. A blood electrolyte level can help you in ruling in or ruling out this. Some researchers believe inadequate stretching and muscle fatigue leads to abnormalities in mechanisms that control muscle contraction. Other factors may also be involved, including exercising or working in intense heat and dehydration.

Prevention of the cramps is the best cure; for that following measures should be employed:

1) Drink water at regular intervals, even when you are not thirsty.

2) Drink more than what you require.

3) Drink fruit juice or a sports beverage if the working conditions are hot and one sweats a lot.

4) If cramps occur frequently, stretching exercises help. Muscle relaxant like chlorzoxazone can also help.

5) Following exercise may help you before you go to bed; Stand about 30 inches from a wall and, keeping the heels flat on the floor, lean forward and slowly move the hands up the wall to achieve a comfortable stretch.

6) A few minutes on a stationary bicycle at bedtime may also help.

7) While in bed, loose covers should be used to prevent the toes and feet from pointing, which causes calf muscles to contract and cramp easily.

8) Propping up the feet up than the rest of the body may also help.

9) During the week, swimming and water exercises are a good way to keep muscles stretched, and wearing supportive footwear is also important.

10) Eating more nuts, seeds, seafood and low-fat dairy would help.

You can consult your physician who would review your medications and medical history. Also, take Calcium and vitamin D with a supplement of magnesium and zinc a day. Gatorade, can help as it contain electrolytes. If still no change, then do follow up with your doctor for a blood test to check the electrolytes. Read the resource which tells you specifically about the night cramps;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/night-leg-cramps/AN00499

Once a cramp starts, do the following measures so it is arrested immediately;

1) Straighten the leg, flex the foot upward toward the knee, or grab the toes and pull them toward the knee.

2) Walking or shaking the affected leg, then elevating it, may also help.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor