Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I went to an urgent care office and I had this nagging cough…

Customer Question
My name is...

My name is wayne and I went to an urgent care office and I had this nagging cough and was diagnosed with bronchitis and was persibed these 2 medications and an inhaler and wanted to know is there anything else I can do to stop the coughing

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

It is 250mg azithromycin and 20 mg prednisone AND ROBITUSSIN DM

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

NO I DID have pneumonia once, they did a chest xray and showed no signs of pneumonia

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/27/2017
Doctor: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today.

I'm sorry that you are still coughing. Bronchitis can take 3-4 weeks for a cough to stop. It is usually a viral infection (95%) so the prednisone will help resolve this. Robitussin DM will do little to stop the coughing. May I suggest you buy Hall's Menthol cough drops and keep one in your mouth constantly while awake.

How often and for how many days will you take the 20 mg of Prednisone?

I take the prednisone for 5 days and it is 1 time a day

Wayne,

Thank you for the additional information. The dose of prednisone is a little low but hopefully will work for you. Increase your fluid intake to at least 8, eight-ounce glasses of water daily. Keep a cough drop in your mouth to help increase moisture.

I didn't ask but which inhaler did you get?

Any additional thoughts, questions?

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

The inhaler is a Ventolin hfa,90 mcg per achualation

You can use this every 6 hours, 2 inhalations. The treatment you are receiving is appropriate, but it will take time. As I previously said it could take 3-4 weeks to resolve. If after that period of time you still have any cough then a re-visit to the doctor is suggested.

Hi Wayne,

Any additional thoughts, questions?

Dr Stan
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor