Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have elevated ALT of 86, feel slightly bloated and have…

Customer Question
Hi I have elevated...

Hi I have elevated ALT of 86, feel slightly bloated and have some dull pain in my right rib area. I had a ct scan abdominal with contrast 3 months ago and was given the diagnosis of mild fatty infultratuon of the liver. Is this new pain meaning this has become cirrhosis or am I over reacting?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

It has been a week since I had the test. The pain isn’t very noticeable. When I sit and think about it I certainly feel it more.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Pre diabetic with normal sugar levels at the test last week as well. I take metformin, enalipril and Lipitor

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
11/27/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 4 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

The dull pain in right rib area is not related to cirrhosis or anything serious. A solitary raised enzyme of this level (ALT 86) is not worrisome.

Your pain may be due to;

1) Gall bladder dysfunction; An HIDA scan can determine it.

2) Gastritis or peptic ulcer; Upper GI endoscopy can diagnose it.

Following points will clear the raise in your liver enzymes;

1) The liver function tests may be abnormal even in patients with a healthy liver.

2) Studies evaluating the clinical significance of these abnormalities have demonstrated that serious underlying liver disease is uncommon in many individuals.

3) Just this level of enzyme elevation is found in almost 10% of cases without any disease.

4) Only a persistent increase of two fold for three months (tests repeated at monthly interval) will need further studies or invasive investigations like liver biopsy.

5) The other causes should be observed if there is no history of any medications, alcohol abuse and investigation for hepatitis B and C are normal and there are no medical evidence of the following diseases (which can elevate these enzymes); muscle disorders, thyroid disorders, celiac disease, adrenal insufficiency and anorexia nervosa.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

We can stay on this thread.

Please do not lose sleep. Your CT scan was normal just 3 months ago and cirrhosis cannot occur in this small duration.

Secondly, just one liver enzyme rise is never worrisome. The level of this rise too is not considered significant.

I can assure you; there is no chance of liver failure by this ALT value.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Stay blessed.

Ok last question. I have check my records and my numbers of what I gave you were slightly off.On the most recent test, nov 14th my AST was 46 and my ALT was 80.On July 15th my AST came in at 51 and ALT 102. This is when I had the CT with contrast and it says in the summary. Liver - Normal in size with no suspicious focal lesions observed. The liver is diffusely diminished in attenuation relative to the spleen suggesting diffuse steatosis. Then in the impression section says probable fatty infultratuon of the liver.My question is do these numbers and test suggest chirohsis? Or early liver failure? Or am I ok, stop worrying and try to eat better. Between July 15th and now could the ct change significantly?Really having trouble sleeping, reading so much about this has me worried.

These numbers and test do not suggest cirrhosis.

You need not to worry about liver failure.

You just have to eat better (fat free diet and try to reduce weight if over weight) and everything will be normal.

Your liver working fine, I can assure you.

A positive rating would be highly apprecited.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor