Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I would like to know basically the possibilities or what is…

Customer Question
Hello I would like...

Hello I would like to know basically the possibilities or what is the cause if my son stops taking his medication for inattentive ADHD

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No it's not for me it's for my son and he is 10 years old and no he's not allergic to any medication

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

N9

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your son's diagnosis. Just to confirm, are you asking what symptoms your son would develop if he stops taking his medications? If so which medications is he on specifically?

IF so, what medications is he taking currently and how long has he been taking them?

I don't know the name of it but the mother of my child says it is a medication for innatenative dhd!

And how long has he been taking the medicine? And are you asking about what would happen if he stops taking the medicine suddenly, is that correct?

Okay so my son lives with his mother and me and the mother are no longer together so she just told me that my son has been on the meds for like a month and my son has told me that they make him throw up and e tc

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins.

Okay also will it cause any kind of harm to him to stop taking the meds. And is it a have to that my son has to go to counseling due to this site

Ok so ADHD medication can certainly cause nausea as well as vomiting and depending on the exact medicine, it can cause various other side effects. These can include,

• Headache
  • loss of appetite
  • nervousness
  • stomach pain
  • stuffy nose
  • trouble sleeping
  • unusually warm skin

Now given that he has been on the medication for a month that means that his body has gotten used to it by now and it would NOT be advisable to stop the drug suddenly, this is because stopping these drugs suddenly leads to withdrawal symptoms which can be severe in many cases. That is why when a patient has been on ADHD medication for a month or more, we usually taper down the drug over a period of 1-2 weeks. This would allow for the drug to slowly leave his system and avoid any potential withdrawal effects at the same time.

So while the drugs can have side effects, it is NOT advisable to stop suddenly. If you do decide to take him off the drugs then it would have to be done slowly over a period of 1-2 weeks.

Also, can you explain what you are asking here " And is it a have to that my son has to go to counseling due to this site".

Do you have any more questions?

Does he need to go to counseling due to the meds

He needs to go to counseling for management of the ADHD but NOT because of the medications. It would be beneficial to manage the ADHD with psychotherapy and counseling and he can then be tapered off the medications. But he does not need counseling just because he is using the medicines, he does need it for the inattentive ADHD though.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor