Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

About 9 days ago i fell on my left knee and left arm. The

Customer Question

About 9 days ago i fell on my left knee and left arm. The knee is tender, but the forearm is very sore and certain movements cause high pain level. I think I have good sense enough to have it checked out, but am fearful of possible surgery. I am not a good candidate for surgery. Thank you for addressing my question.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Certain movements cause pain when touched or moved. No swelling to speak of, no bruising.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, not regarding this.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually from what you are describing you SHOULD get this evaluated, now it is not necessary that you will require surgery in this case as the likely cause for your pain is either a tendon sprain or tear in one of the tendons of the knee joint. Now while a tear sounds scary, it is usually not. There are many types of tears ranging from a mild one of grade I to a more severe one of grade IV in which the tendon comes off the bone completely. However in your case, since there is no swelling etc, the likely grade would be either grade I or II. In these types of tears, it would be best to manage the problem conservatively with the help of topical application of OTC capsaicin gel as well as using OTC anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 600 mg thrice daily. Also applying a compression bandage to the area would be useful as well. Physiotherapy would help heal the area faster and if necessary your doctor can use steroid injections or injections of PRP to help with the healing process. Surgery is usually reserved for grade III or higher tears

The other possibility is that of a minor tear inside the knee joint of the meniscii which are the shock absorbers of the knee joint. This would be diagnosed with the help of an MRI of the knee joint and it would be managed conservatively as well in most cases.

Now the first step here is to start using the above modalities and see if they help and at the same time schedule an MRI of the knee joint which would help diagnose the problem. But given your symptoms, it is not likely that you will need surgery to solve the problem.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? I have answered the forearm question in your other thread, ill post it here as well,

Hello again,Pain in the forearm is also likely to be due to soft tissue trauma, given the fact that there is no swelling or bruising over the area, the likely cause here is that you could have bruised the muscle (in layman terms) or even cause minor strain on the tendons of the forearm. As with the knee, the forearm could have also developed a minor tear in the tendons. A tear would be managed in much the same way s the knee joint however it would require a little more rest and you should avoid lifting heavy weights with the affected arm for the next 2-3 weeks. Applying a compression bandage and using the same therapies, in this case, would be helpful as well. I would also advise applying heat over the area which would help in reducing the pain etc in the forearm.If however, you are also developing numbness, shooting or stabbing pains in the forearm then I would advise looking into nerve damage in the area. This would be diagnosed with the help of NCS/EMG test and if necessary an MRI can be done here as well.But again the same treatment modalities should be applied here, including the ibuprofen, compression bandage, capsaicin gel etc.

Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.