Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What are the side effects of Oxybutrin for men? Husband is…

Customer Question
What are the side...

What are the side effects of Oxybutrin for men?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Husband is hospitalized with COPD flare-up and UTI. He has been prescribed oxybutrin. Was on toviaz previously, and taken off due to side effects-UTI in the elderly. This is fourth UTI since May. He has COPD, diabetes, Type II, neuropathy, Parkinsonism, and skin rashes. Allergic to sulfa and gold. Takes Vyvanse, Requip, Lantus, Novolog, Spiriva inhaler, Melatonin at night.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

Skin issue has been going on for several years. Tested for allergies, no specific result. Treated with ointments for symptoms. Before the UTI's. He is also incontinent. Uses an external catheter

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Post polio syndrome. Very sensitve skin on arms. Bruises and purple lesions. Bone on bone shoulder issue related to lacrosse in prep school and college. Not a candidate for surgery. Going to Pain management soon as infections are cleared up. Balance issues. Mobility issues. Uses a walker. With this lates UTI, couldn't walk at all without support. Hospitalized in CT before Thanksgiving, went to rehab for three days, and I took him out due to psychological impact of the nursing home. Returned home last night. 911 call this morning due to fall and weakness. Now home in NC. Hospitalized as we speak.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/27/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm very sorry to hear about your husband's medical conditions. Actually, the side effects of oxybutynin include side effects which are common for both men and women and certain side effects which are more common in men. The side effects which can occur in both and are more common include,

• Acid or sour stomach
  • belching
  • decreased sweating
  • diarrhea
  • difficulty having a bowel movement (stool)
  • drowsiness
  • dryness of the eyes, mouth, nose, or throat
  • heartburn
  • indigestion
  • runny nose
  • stomach discomfort, upset, or pain
  • Hallucinations
  • Anxiety
  • Confusion
  • Dizziness
  • Palpitations
  • High blood pressure
  • Insomnia

Those which can occur in men include,

• Impotence
  • Decreased libido
  • aggravation of prostatic hypertrophy
  • urinary hesitation,
  • urinary retention,
  • dysuria,
  • increased post-void retention

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/