Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Took first dose of macrobid today and three hours later had…

Customer Question
Took first dose of...

Took first dose of macrobid today and three hours later had diarrehea three times in a row.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take ambien at night 10 mg and I took diovan at the same time that I took my first pill

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Took a leaquinn one levaquinn a week ago and it seemed to help right away and no diarrhea. the only thing I worry about with nthat is the tendoniites. I took cipro a few months ago and again no diarrhea. I do have ibs

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/27/2017
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Nitrofuratoin or macrobid infrequently causes diarrhea but in the setting of IBS it can cause diarrhea because of intestinal tract irritation.

If it is absolutely imperative to take the macrobid then I suggest that you take it along with a low fiber diet - bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, refined cereals etc. and keep yourself hydrated.

But if you have a substitute than it will be a good idea to switch to that and not take the macrobid.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!