Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My pharmacy is unable to fill a Thyroid prescription and…

Customer Question
My pharmacy is unable...

My pharmacy is unable to fill a Thyroid prescription and tells me that there is a national shortage of NatureThroid and also the generic version of NatureThroid. I also take Synthroid during the day. I am down to four NatureThroid tablets (four days worth). My doctor's office is closed through 11-30. Can I safely take the Synthroid in NatureThroid's place?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Synthroid, NatureThroid, Progesterone, Estriol and Vitamin Supplements

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Food sensitivities have steered me away from Armor Thyroid due to wheat and gluten sensitivities.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/26/2017
Doctor: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 2 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.comThis is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.
I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.
Thank you for your patience.
Answers here are for education and information only.
What dose of the NatureThyroid and Sythyroid are you on?
65 mg tablet WP Thryroid
25 mcg tablet Levothyroxine generic Synthroid
65 mg (1 grain) of NatureThyroid is equivalent to 100 mcg of Synthroid . However Synthroid only contains T4 and not T3 thyroid, which is the active form of thyroid hormone in the body
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD