How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2592
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Family Physician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a gum infection. Area has some swelling. I there

Customer Question

I have a gum infection. Area has some swelling. I there something I can use ot take without consulting a Dentist?
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: No. Welling and dis comfort started on Friday evening, I rinsed mouth carefully
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have had this problem before, maybe 10 years ago.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 11 months ago.

Can you attach a picture?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 11 months ago.


A true gum infection needs professional attention.

An antibiotic is prescription and there is no over the counter equivalent.

It also might need plaque removal or other surgical attention.

Why can't you see a dentist?