Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I just had a quick question yesterday I was working out and…

Customer Question
Hello I just had...

Hello I just had a quick question yesterday I was working out and I pulled the 50 pound dumbbell off and I felt like my my stomach on my lower left side get a little tight maybe if I strained it a little but I noticed throughout the day just got a little sore and sore and sore butt when I walk I'm fine when I run I'm fine I'm not having any type of pain unless I kind of stretch it or if I bend over I feel a little bit

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been in pain? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

I have no vomiting I'm not nauseous and it's more of like a soreness

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No cuz it just happened when I pulled that 50 lb dumb well dumbbell weight off the rack and I think I just picked it up wrong

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/26/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant and I will do my best to help you today.

Do you want me to give you the reason over again

This is just a muscular spasm, secondary to strenuous physical exertion.

The muscles in the chest and abdomen and usually spread like a band, hence when they are pulled and undergo spasm, the pain is usually experienced in a band like distribution.

Okay cuz I can walk find run it's just if I stretch out a little bit I can feel it or if I really press on my stomach really hard then I can feel it it's a little painful but other than that it's fine

I think you need to take rest.

Gentle massage of the affected area.

Application of heating pad/ hot water bottle --- as heat is one of the best known muscle relaxant.

Good hydration.

And can use Motrin for control of pain.

All will help and I am pretty sure this problem will go away in few days.

Can I still walk and do light StairMaster and no weights

There is no harm in walking; but I will suggest not to do any kind of intense exercise, Give your muscles time and opportunity to relax.

Ok thank u

Good luck and get well soon :)

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to give 5 Star Rating to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.