Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had a cold type issue for about a month, antibiotics…

Customer Question
I have had a...

I have had a cold type issue for about a month, antibiotics only seem to work for a few days and now I have a sore throat and when I take a deep breath I get some pain in the left area of chest

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?

No fever to my knowledge, the sore throat came back this morning and the chest discomfort has been a couple days

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/25/2017
Doctor: Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician

Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. SH and will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Can you please mention your age and gender.

Have you had any tests done for it?

Do you have any other medical problems?

Are you on any medications for anything at the moment?

Please let me know.

33/female
Negative on strep tests from previous visit
No other medical
I’m currently on levaquin for what they thought was a sinus infection but it stopped being helpful today

Pain in the chest on deep breathing usually means that the pain is either originating from the chest wall i.e. the chest muscles or the cartilages of the chest or the bones of the chest or the lining of the lungs. This can happen due to a viral infection or a bacterial infection.

One month is a long period of time for an infection to last and it should have improved by now.

I would strongly recommend that after you finish the course of levaquin that you should not be prescribed anymore antibiotics as that could be contributing to the infection not healing and lingering on for this long.

Meanwhile I would recommend that you should take something like OTC Motrin or Aleve to help with your pain and sore throat.

If it is a pain originating from the muscles of the chest wall it would improve immediately with these medications.

I would just give this some time i.e. a week or two without you being on any antibiotics and let the body heal by itself.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end when you are done asking.

Kindest regards