Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Neuropathy in feet - what are the steps to fix it and is the…

Customer Question
Neuropathy in feet -...

Neuropathy in feet - what are the steps to fix it and is the fix permanent?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Burning of the feet sporadically, and sometimes cramping in feet and legs

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No noticeable swelling, but I sometimes have to remove my shoes when and where possible.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not sure anything related - am in pretty good health with minor complaints.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/25/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant and I will do my best to help you today.

Whether or not there is a permanent solution depends upon the underlying cause; BUT usually, once developed, the peripheral neuropathy follows a chronic and permanent course.

The treatment options for peripheral neuropathy includes pain medications like Tylenol, Some drugs which act as nerve soothers like gabapentin and pregabalin are also commonly used.

Topical creams of lignocaine, and capsaicin are also helpful...

Some antidepressants like Amitriptyline, Nortriptyline, and a new drug Duloxetine is also beneficial...

TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) is another modality which helps in selected cases, if the drug therapy fails.

Finally, acupuncture, massage therapy, chiropractic care, meditation, and various types of movement therapy (including yoga and tai chi) are also found to be beneficial in controlling the symptoms of neuropathy...

You can discuss these options with your treating physician which will direct subsequent management strategy...

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.