Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I cant figure out why I am bloating like I am 9 mo pregnant…

Customer Question
I cant figure out...

I cant figure out why I am bloating like I am 9 mo pregnant throwing up every day and when i stand up i have huge burps. I have celiac and I eat a completely gluten free diet for 13 years

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Not really because my diet it all gluten free

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. i think it is my gall bladder

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/25/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 4 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

I dont mind I am just trying to find a real answer. I have spent many hours in the er just to leave with less blood and tired. No answers.

The gas formation / bloating, throwing up and discomfort would need to look for the following causes;

1) Gallbladder disease (gallstones)

2) Gastritis / peptic ulcer

3) Gastroesophageal reflux disease.

4) Diverticulitis.

You need following investigations to ascertain the cause;

CT scan or abdomen

Ultrasound

Upper GI endoscopy

Tests for Helicobacter pylori.

The reasons for excessive intestinal gas formation can be;

1) excessive air swallowing.

Anxious people swallow air when they are stressed or anxiety supervenes.

2) increased intraluminal (inside the intestine) production from mal absorbed (improperly absorbed) nutrients,

3) decreased gas absorption due to some pathological condition of intestines like diverticulitis

4) expansion of intestinal gas due to changes in atmospheric pressure

A solitary reason or combination can be responsible for the excessive gas.

Following may help you;

1) Avoid

a) Cabbage

b) Beer

c) Legumes

d) Cheese

e) Beans

2) This may help;

a) Bismuth subsalicylate

b) Activated charcoal

c) Simethicone; (Maalox, Mylanta); Simethicone causes gas bubbles to break up.

d) Beano; contains an enzyme (alpha-galactosidase), which helps to breakdown certain complex carbohydrates.

All are available without prescription.

Avoid foods that appear to aggravate symptoms. These may include milk and dairy products, certain fruits or vegetables, whole grains (which you are already doing due to celiac), artificial sweeteners etc. But this is based on the personal observation for the aggravating food.

Discontinue the following if you do them;

1) gum chewing,

2) smoking,

3) drinking carbonated beverages, and

4) gulping food and liquids.

For GERD and hiatal hernia, following may help you:

a) Calcium channel blockers (diltiazem, nifedipine) decreases the spasm and improves the movements of the esophagus.
b) Relaxation techniques.
c) Noncardiac chest pain in the setting of esophageal spasm and esophageal movement disorder (dysmotility) often shows good response to antireflux therapy, even in the absence of typical gastroesophageal reflux symptoms.
d) Reassurance and control of anxiety is extremely important.

Anti reflux therapy is;

1) antacids; Maalox

2) acid blocker; Prilosec

3) loosing weight, if overweight.

4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products

5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Let me know if you have any unanswered questions.

Stay blessed.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor