Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

This is the third time this year I have experienced this…

Customer Question
This is the third...

This is the third time this year I have experienced this problem i.e. balance dificulity and slight headache, just want to lay down and slep. i sus[pect Orthostatic intolerance sinc nothing else seems to fit. When i go tomy internest he checkets my gait but by then seems ok. Brain scans ok but found evidence of small infartc. This was found appx. 30 years ago. I haver since had at least one TIA..

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

NO profound nausea. Epoise usally last for one to 1/2 day but this one has lasted 3 days and is still present.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

. Needless to say, I am worried. One anomaly I have severe degenerative d\isk which began years ago and have actually lost two inches in height.I and am scheduled to have an epidural next wee, when I take Oxycodone for pain (5mg) the episode is reduced.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
11/25/2017
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

These past 3 days have you been feeling the headache continuously?

Also, is your balance worse when you move your head suddenly? Such as a sensation of the room spinning?

No the mild headache nor the balance problem is affected by movement.It is just there all the time.
I suppose one could say light headed and actually bounce off the wall at times.

It's not a sign of an infarct though I know you have a history of that as seen on the CT scan.

It sounds as though it could be something to do with your balance centers which are located in the ears.

It could be a orthostatic but generally that's worse when you stand up and often related to blood pressures.

Fatigue can cause some similar symptoms like that but it would be rare to lat several days.

Is there something in particular you were worried about that it might be?

No not any thing beyand these recuring episodes. I am worried by this balance problem which often manifest as stumbling and movement sid to side which is visible to others i.e.,"not just in my head"
Was my thughta on Orthstatic intolerance out of consideration?

Orthostatic is less likely when balance is the issue.

With balance being a problem I would recommend seeing a neurologist in person who can test you for conditions such as meniere's which isn't dangerous but can cause balance problems.

Sorry I had to stop last night because of the time and lay back down after getting up. Perhaps that is another clue, I have noted a need to sleep more than usually and feel tired all the time. This morn I took my blood pressure while still in bed, it read 170 over 98 later after getting up it was still high about the same.
Meinere,s doesn't fir the pattern i.e. according to the Mayo Clinic site it says vertigo usually last 20 minutes to several hours, but not more than 24. The latest episode has lasted for several days. i tis better today but started last Tuesday. Any other thoughts? Thanks, ***** am 84 and my blood pressue usually is about 130 over 68.
25 November 2017 02:01
5 November 2017 02:01

With meniere's your blood pressure will generally get quite high during such attacks. And with orthostatic your blood pressure will rarely get about 140/90.

Meniere's attacks can last several days at a time and labyrinthitis or vertigo can last several days as well.

It's good that it's improved today but I still lean more towards a balance issue which is causing secondary fatigue/weakness.

Of course without an exam it's always hard to say but this doesn't seem like anything more serious than that which is why I'm less suspicious of something orthostatic.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Otherwise I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Dr. Mo

Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding this that I may address.

Otherwise please click on the rating button when ready.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.
​Dr. Mo

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD