Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am wearing a continuous alcohol monitoring bracelet and…

Customer Question
Hello. I am wearing...

Hello. I am wearing a continuous alcohol monitoring bracelet and have tested positive on 2 recent occasions, but I haven't consumed any alcohol in almost 4 months.

Doctor's Assistant: Is there an upcoming drug test scheduled? What kind of samples are being tested?

It is a transdermal test. I wear the bracelet 24/7, and tests are done about every 30 minutes.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am having a lot of digestive problems. I have gallstones and possibly other issues, but I haven't been diagnosed as of yet. I am wondering about candida overgrowth or blood sugar issues, but again, nothing has been diagnosed except the gallstones.

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

I would have to say fairly poor. I've lost a lot of weight and have trouble eating and digesting most food. I'm always tired, and digestively I am in almost constant pain.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/24/2017
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
We’re these 2 positive tests back to back or on different occasions? And how were you notified that it was positive?
The tests were on separate occasions. One on October 29th and the second on November 19th. I was notified by phone the next day because it was Sunday.

Generally they would have you go do a blood or urine or breath test for alcohol if the monitoring system was positive, did they do that?

I had a urine test for Etg done on my own the second time. The first time, I wasn’t aware of this option or I would have done it then, as well. I haven’t received the results of that test, yet. My biggest concern is what could be causing this to happen. I haven’t taken any medication or used any mouth wash or anything like that. These tests show that my body actually had alcohol in it and processed the alcohol out. The levels at their peak were .06 the first time and .04 the second.

Those levels are pretty high and if you only had 2 results without them being back to back then they were false positives. With true positives on continuous monitors your tests would be positive on multiple occasions and slowly titrate downward.

The first time, the test said it took my body 15 hours to process the alcohol out. It was only at a .06 for a short time. It started at .002 at 12pm and wasn’t back to a zero until 3 am the next day. This last time, it was over an 8 or 9 hour period of time, but I haven’t actually seen that graph.

I see, so there were probably multiple readings.

If it was a false positive then the urine test or a blood test should confirm that.

It's possible that some other condition in your body is causing ethanol to be released. If it is intestinal then the only way to diagnose that would be to have an endoscopy done by a gastroenterologist and have a biopsy performed.

What conditions could cause this to happen?

Many conditions could lead to this. If you take over the counter medication, if you have any endocrine issues like diabetes, if you have problems with the kidney such as glomerulonephritis or if you have liver issues such as autoimmune hepatitis.