Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is there a drug that can improve your appetite and help you…

Customer Question
Is there a drug...

Is there a drug that can improve your appetite and help you gain weight?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No appetite, living about eating,weight loss,maybe depression.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

It's actually my son,years like this.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He has a problem with anger and authority.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/24/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant and I will do my best to help you today.

There are very few medical options to increase the appetite, so that a person can gain weight.

You will find many over the counter supplements with claims to increase the appetite, but most of these are useless.

Few options that might be helpful are;

1. Adding nutritional supplements and vitamins in the diet plan; these have been proven clinically to help people gain weight

2. Magesterol

3. Dronabinol

Magesterol and Dronabinol are prescription drugs are usually reserved for special group of patients such as ;elderly patients or patients with HIV

Now having said that, I would like to tell you that in your son's case, the main reason for weight loss appears to be depression itself, which needs to be effectively treated before trying anything else.

And for the height itself, it needs to be evaluated by an endocrinologist because for any person the height is mainly determined growth hormone levels, the height o the parents; and the endocrinologist can employ different mathematical equations to find out the expected height of any person, and if he feels it needs to be treated then he can give growth hormone injections if needed.

I think your next step is to see his physician, and discuss all the details I have mentioned to start further management plan and appropriate referrals to Endocrinologist (if needed).

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.