Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Any negative effect of a 9 year old viagra other than

Customer Question
Any negative effect of...

Any negative effect of a 9 year old viagra other than potency.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

I have not taken, can I use them

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

None, I do not take any Medici other than aspirin. Am 75

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/24/2017
Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 5 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you are having concerns about using expired Viagra (about 9 years old). I am familiar with this type of situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Please see on most occasions using expired medications is not considered dangerous

The major issue with using expired meds is these drugs might have lost some of their potency so they may not be as effective as the fresh batch of meds, otherwise there should not be any major issues or concerns. And also please note most of the expired meds do not get converted to some kind of toxic chemicals or poisons etc.

So the expired meds are unlikely to become toxic to the body, rather the main concern is they may not be found as effective as the fresh batch of drugs (those drugs that are not expired yet).

When we are dealing with the management of certain medical conditions like blood pressure or diabetes, or seizures/epilepsy etc using expired meds can become an issue because as pointed earlier above - the expired meds may not be as effective as fresh meds, so the blood pressure or diabetes/sugar may go out of control or patient may experience seizures by using expired meds.

But for conditions such as erectile dysfunction etc using expired meds should not be of any major issue. Meds such as Viagra are still going to help, may not help as much as the fresh batch of Viagra, but it is still expected to help. Also if reduced effectiveness of the expired med is an issue then an extra dose may be taken to increase its effectiveness.

The standard recommendation is – if possible - to avoid using expired meds; however in real clinical practice using an expired meds is not always considered as dangerous – for the reason mentioned above. Especially if someone is not in a position to buy fresh batch of meds and if they urgently need a med - but all they have is only some expired med - then one may consider using the expired meds, and it is unlikely to cause any serious or major side effects or untoward effects. And just to be on the safer side please try to use the smallest dose initially, and see how the body reacts, and then you may adjust the dose accordingly.

Once again to your main question, yes, if at all there is an issue it is with its reduced potency but otherwise there should not be any other major issues or concerns using expired Viagra.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, have you received the answer I have posted above, and have you had a chance to go through the above answer?

Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss this further (Re: The issues related with using expired medications)? Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)