Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband is 89 years old and has had 4 by pass surgery…

Customer Question
My husband is 89...

My husband is 89 years old and has had 4 by pass surgery with 3 stints. After his surgery he has led a very, very active lifestyle. He is under the care of a cardiologist and recently he has done an EKG and he wore a monitor for 24 hours. He monitors his heart and his readings for his heart rate are low. Guess my question is, "Will a pacemaker be a solution for him and is his age a factor? He has medicare advantage insurance. He has been unusually healthy, I think. Would like your thoughts on this.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Yes, his father had several pacemakers and they were successful and he died at age 91. He is active but admits he is getting tired and needs the rocking chair more. He is a workaholic and he pushes to the limit and then some, I think. Does work that requires lifting, and activities like the chain saw, chopping with a hoe, etc. etc.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am inquiring for my husband without his knowledge and his memory is worsening, but mine is too!

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/24/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 5 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is his heart rate?

Did his 24 hours monitoring show any other abnormality?

Last reading yesterday was 52. Has been running fifties and sixties range. Will see our cardiologist on Dec. 6th to get report on the monitor, I presume. In the meantime, he is getting blood pressure readings (3 times a week) for a month at our GP.

The true need of pacemaker for low pulse is below 50 per minute.

But if there are symptoms associated like dizziness or fall of blood pressure with 52 pulse rate; he may need pacemaker.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor