Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Sleep walking - treatment and medication

Customer Question
When I was very young...

When I was very young I used to sleep walk.

My mother used to sleep walk and my son used to sleep walk too. I am now in my early 70s and for about a year now have noticed that I am sleep walking again. Stuff moved in my apt and one time some of my clothes covered with dried-grass, etc. I have taken precautions on my apt door to no avail. Help me!

I am not on any meds, nor were my mother and son at that time during their walks, I was not on any meds at age 5 at my first walk except I was at an orphanage away from home. I live alone now and have very vivid nightmares of dead relatives.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/24/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 7 months ago

Sleep walking (Somnambulism), is termed as parasomnia event. These have a predilection for occurring during deep sleep, are known to occur during all stages of sleep, and are possible at any time during the night. They are classified as;

1) sleepwalking,

2) confusional arousals, and

3) sleep terrors.

Usually no treatment is required as it would abate on its own. Parasomnia can have undesirable events like;

1) motor (like walking)

2) verbal (talking)

3) experimental event.

If the events are not subsiding, following may need to be instituted;

1) Clonazepam

2) Relaxation techniques

Please read about parasomnia in this resource;

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=47489

These events come in the episodic form and sometimes there are periods of long absence of years with 2-3 days of sleep walking and again a long gap. Important point to understand are;

A. These are benign events and do not need treatment usually.

B. Following associated conditions should be ruled out;

1) Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)

2) Sleep apnea

C. Adequate sleep of 8-9 hours should be assured if the events start happening.

D. Benzodiazepines, tricyclic antidepressants, and serotonin reuptake inhibitors medicines can be used if the events are recurring and frequent.

E. Parasomnias are not associated with any long-term sequelae.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.