Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 60 year old male and I pulled a Right calf muscle…

I am a 60...

I am a 60 year old male and I pulled a Right calf muscle about 1 month ago - the swelling around my lower right leg and foot has remained --- is it caused by poor circulation or lack of exercise? Will increased exercise reduce the swelling? Thanks!

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

The swelling occurred right after I pulled the muscle - there is nothing that makes it worse, I've taken the RICE excuse to not exercise much and haven't walked around too much.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No - I do not smoke nor drink, I do not have diabetes, no drugs ....

11/24/2017
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

if the swelling occurred after a strain/injury, then usually progressive exercise should help reduce the swelling over a period of 4 to 8 weeks. You can also try wearing a compressive sleeve on the leg to help reduce swelling.

if the swelling continues, or you get more swelling in the leg, then I would recommend that you see your doctor for an evaluation.

Does that make sense?

thank you Doctor ...

is there anything else I can help you with regarding this issue?

Not at present - I just wanted to get a straight answer to the question about increasing exercise (walking or bicycle riding) to improve circulation in the leg, with the objective of reducing the swelling. It doesn't hurt but it is swollen and it looks rather grotesque ... Thank you very much!

You’re welcome and glad to be able to help you today!

I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD