Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

What is wrong with me? A second viral infection after the…

What is wrong with me...
What is wrong with me? A second viral infection after the first one? Another bronchitis? Or just the lingering symptoms that never heal. This is the timeine of my sickness.
First, I caught a flu or cold on October 25th, started with thirst, headache and then the next day developped to sore throat with low fever and then phlegm and mucus and then just coughing, coughing, coughing. Reached the point that I hadto go to the doctor, got my lung xrayed, everything is clear but she prescribed me z-pack and methylprednisolone. After that, was 2 weeks timeline since day 1 I was sick. Then after finishing everything, the cough still remained, not as bad but was there. Coughed much less. Marked 3 weeks since Oct 25 with the first sickness. And thought I would be better.
November 16th went out on a rainy day that there wasn’t rain anymore but cold, went to an event that was outdoor and pretty chilly, went back home with a sticky feeling at the back of throat, went out to eat with friends again the next day, came back home feeling super thirsty and woke up the next day with runny nose and itchy throat (no fever or headache or sore throat) and started to cough more again this past Sunday. Now not much runny nose but the cough seems to progress (not as bad as last time though, almost the same as when it was better from last time). Lingering symptoms from previous one that never completely healed? A new Viral infection? Could this lead to bronchitis again?
11/24/2017
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.You initially had a viral infection,subsequent to that you developed Post Viral Bronchitis ,this bronchitis may take 6-12 weeks to heal.The latest cold and cough could be secondary to an Upper respiratory allergy which would involve the rhino-sinuses and pharynx,this may aggravate the cough which is already present,there may be a secondary bacterial infection which could signal a worsening of the cough.The initial post viral bronchitis hs not healed ,but another added cough due to allergy and bacterial infection may be superadded to it which may extend the time for the post viral bronchitis.A change in the colour of the phlegm may signal a bacterial infection.Regular use of steam inhalations, a bronchodilator(deriphyllin or inhaled Tiotropium or Salbutamol)may help with the cough ,your PCP will be the judge of whether an antibiotic is needed or not.

Thanks! I don’t have any yellow or green phlegm anymore though. But doesn’t bacterial infection includes fever as well? I do not have that. My PCP thinks it could be allergy or lingering symptoms.

He is right on both counts,The post viral bronchitis is due to lingering post viral symptoms and the runny nose and sore throat appear to be allergic in nature.Steam inhalations,a bronchodilator and a non-sedating antihistamine like Fexofenadine/Allegra would help you at this stage.

will I completely heal and get over this viral infection or allergy? I never had a sore throat with my infections at all. Only one day when the first viral infection appears...
Does bacterial infection includes fever? So I can keep an eye on myself?

Yes,gradual healing will occur which will be complete.A bacterial overlay may include fever if the sepsis is severe.Yes,you cn keep an eye on yourself,give the cough time to settle and do not get anxious.

Thank you. Should I go in a doctor’s office tocheck if I might get bacterial? But when I was sick 3 weeks ago. I already take the zpack though
My doc prescribed me zpack 3 weeks ago in case I might have had bacterial although she doesnt think I have bacteria after listening to my lungs and the xray. I also don’t have any fever or sore throat. But do you think as I have been sick a while it means or indicates I have bacterial infection?

No,it does not appear to be a bacterial overlay as that would change the colour of the sputum.

I see. I would say I have less sputum. But I have heard that sometimes even the color of the sputum change it could atill be viral too

The viral infection is gone,it has left behind irritation of then bronchioles and secretions .Respiratory Syncitial Virus may occasoionally be involved.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
As I have been dealing with seasonal allergies and now the bronchitis that is healing, my doc suggested me to try Allegra, so I did. I was wondering that how long does it stays in your system? And how long is the effectiveness? And as it says 24HR, non drowsy, does that means it could cause sleeplessness as well? Or it just means it doesn't make you drowsy.

Usually antihistamines would make you drowsy,the newer generation antihistamines are non-sedating or the drug will not make you sleepy.The drug will be with you for 11-16 hours if taken regularly,the mean half life is 14.4 hours. a Single dose of 120 mgms or twice daily dose of 60mgms is usually effective for close to 24 hours.

Can Allegra cause insomnia?

Though Allegra has been implicated in some reports,it is unlikely to cause insomnia.Only less than 0.47 % of patients reported sleep problems with Allegra,

But if it does happen to give me sleep problems, if I do not continue using it, my sleep pattern should be back to normal right?

Right.

My coughing has gotten better. But I have one curious question, i have this pain since my viral infection that comes and goes, seems like I was diagnosed with mild sinusitis as well. It hurts only press on my right eyebrow, at the base of the eyebrow between the eye and eyebrow. I have a picture that I circled the area. I know serious sinusitis would have to hury or in pain most of the time not only when touch or press. Anything I should worry about? I have been taking allergy meds

You appear to be having Frontal Sinusitis on the right side,steam inhalations,using a humidifier at home and antibiotic medication if infection is assessed to be infected will help cure this problems,Monteleukast and decongestants and NSAIDs will help in seasonal/allergic problems.Serious sinusitis will cause more discomfort and pain ,this is reduced by steam and antibiotics if infective in nature.

if it only hurts when pressed down only, it is not considered serious yet, is that right? It even comes and goes, like sometimes when press down it would hurt, sometimes it doesn’t.
I am going to use the steamroom today

That should help.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor