Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am taking Prednisone to treat sudden ideopathic

Hi. I am taking Prednisone...
Hi. I am taking Prednisone to treat sudden ideopathic sensorineural hearing loss. My ENT prescribed the following treatment: 60mg/day for 10 days, then a tapering dose during the next 10 days. In total I will take this medication for 20 days. I have two questions.1) I have already been taking this medication for 10 days. I have been taking the 60mg/day at 7:00pm each day. However, is it better to take this medicine in the morning? If yes, should I skip my 7:00pm dose today and take it at 7:00am tomorrow even if I am essentially 12 hours overdue?2) Am I likely to experience any serious long term health effects because of taking this medication for these 20 days at these doses? My ENT wasn't concerned...
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/24/2017
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

It does not alter its effectiveness either you take it in the morning or evening so it is better to continue your dose in the evening.

At 60 mg/day dose of steroid for 20 days does not pose any long term health effects as it is low dose for very short period so nothing at all to worry about.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Thank you Dr. Just a quick follow-up. The Prednisone is sometimes disrupting my sleep which is why I wanted to start taking it in the morning. Based on this, is it safe to skip my 7:00pm dose today and take it at 7:00am tomorrow? or could this disruption in schedule cause any harm?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, you can do that and this change in schedule would cause no harm so go ahead.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor