Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've had diarrhea for four months. It was a sudden onset,

I've had diarrhea for...

I've had diarrhea for four months. It was a sudden onset, out of nowhere, possibly after eating a bite of an extremely spicy hot pepper at an Indian restaurant. I have tried the elimination diet twice; food does not seem to be a problem. The diarrhea is painful, explosive and mostly always liquid. I also have a hiatal hernia. I had a very painful stomach for the first few months as well and suspected an ulcer. After treating with L-Glutamine, DGL, am delighted mastic gum, the pain is much less but the diarrhea remains, with occasionally a day of constipation here and there, and soft stool occasionally. I had a CT scan of the abdomen and nothing was found.

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

No vomiting or nausea

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

- Weight gain/unable to lose (25 pounds)
- Extreme hair loss/inability to regrow
- Hair not growing on legs
- Painful gas as after every meal, lasting all day.
- Inability to pass much gas if at all
- Sharp, hot pain in upper abdomen
- Tenderness near ileocecal valve
- Constant fatigue (going on for years, worsening recently), especially from waking until late at night and also after eating
- Inability to have a restful sleep
- Diarrhea mixed with constipation for 4 months
- High sensitivity to sound
- Irritability
- Depression
- Anxiety
- Joint pain in knees, hips, wrists, hands, shoulders, and elbows (right elbow mostly)
- Anemia (after not being anemic since childhood)
- Bone loss (Osteopenia at age 11, borderline Osteoporosis at age 25)
- Rosacea
- Random cold numbness in hands/arms
- Brain fog/unable to focus or keep concentration
- Hiatal hernia
- Nerve Damage
- ANA results always positive

11/24/2017
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

What is your question regarding this?

Thank you!

Do you have any insight into why I have had diarrhea for 4 months? I don't know if it is bacterial, parasite, or something else? My dog who passed around the time my diarhea started also had terrible explosive diarrhea and I'm concerned I caught something from her. Would the diarrhea last for months if that was the case?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Have you had stool testing done? Did your doctor consider irritable bowel syndrome as a possible cause? Did you try a low FODMAP diet?

I do not have IBS. My GI problems happened out of nowhere. Had heathy digestion and firm stool until abruptly, I did not and have just had explosive liquid diarrhea for months. I have just ordered a Giardia test and an Ova/Parasites test. My PCP would not treat me because it is chronic and told me to see a specialist which I can not afford. I have tried the low FODMAP, paleo diet, and SCD diet but nothing has helped.

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

IBS is not a possibility considering the sudden onset and multiple symptoms. Your symptoms are likely to be due to a parasitic infestation that you acquired at the Indian restaurant. A stool test under the microscope will confirm the presence of the parasite. You should be treated with anti-parasitic medication and this will cure the infection and your symptoms will resolve after treatment and disappear. Once again you will then have a healthy digestion and firm stool.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Thank you for your time. I'd like to also mention that my friend ate the same meal with me at the Indian restaurant and did not have diarhea.

Dear customer,

You are very welcome!

The parasite concentration in the food may have been low and unfortunately, you may have been infected. Not everyone gets the infection and this is not similar to food poisoning. So, the fact that your friend was not infected does not exclude the possibility of you being infected.

Take care.

Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor