Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I had MOHS surgery above my right eyebrow about 3 months

ago. Two nerves were...
I had MOHS surgery above my right eyebrow about 3 months ago. Two nerves were cut in the process. There is still numbness in the area as well as half way across my scalp. I have had curly hair all my life ,but this area of hair seems to have straightened considerably. Is this common?
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: just straight hair in that region and numbness,
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I did have sinus surgery on the same side about 6 weeks ago
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?
Customer: no breathing problems other than chronic sinus problems.
11/24/2017
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you had nerves cut with moh's surgery

electron superficial radiation therapy for the eyelid is an option for treatment and cure of skin cancers on the eyelid without surgery.

yes, cut nerves on the eyelid can cause numbness on the scalp and change in hair texture in the area because of the cut nerves.

let me know if you have questions.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
My cancers were not on the eyelid..instead there were 5 bumps going vertically up my forehead just to the right of center. I bravely asked to use a mirror and to my surprise the hole was the size of a 50 cent piece. The last cut involved a hair or two on the eyebrow. In order to close this hole he made an L going across the top of my eyebrow part way. It has healed quite well and I put mederma on the area each night. The numbness is over a large area well back into the center of my scalp. I was told it may or may not come back. There was some itchiness a month ago and a couple of very sharp pains, but not any more.At this point would you think the feeling might come back...3 months almost.? Would the curls come back ? Thanks for your response...Hope you were able to have a Happy Thanksgiving.

cut nerves could take years for the nerves to slowly regenerate.

the curles may come back.

I wish patients who have skin cancer get to consult with radiation oncology doctors before their skin surgery to talk about options for radiation instead of having to do such big surgeries which can put nerves at risk.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Thanks for your quick reply. I will look into this treatment in the future. This is the 2nd MOHS method that has been done, and as far as scars are concerned, they are almost invisible.. Best wishes, Cindy

that is good.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician