Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have back pain and a knot feeling, as well as occasional…

Customer Question
I have back pain...

I have back pain and a knot feeling, as well as occasional numbness in my top left abdomen, any ideas what this can be? I believe I have a thoraic strain of some sort as well as a past medical history with one episode of pancreatitis

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No, but I did start yoga.. and I can’t tell if it’s my pancreas or a pinched nerve. Pancreatitis doesn’t cause numbness so I’m assuming it’s not related

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

That is it. I exercise and work out a lot.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/23/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant and I will do my best to help you today.

Mainly there are two important and common reasons for this.

First, this can be due to spasm of the muscles at the back secondary to prolonged sittings, exercises causing muscle strains and inappropriate posture.

Secondly, a pinched nerve in the spine (a condition characterized by abnormal excessive pressure over the nerve as it exits the spine such as it happens in disc prolapse or vertebral degeneration) can be responsible for this. Sometimes, this is associated with numbness, tingling, burring or radiating pain down in to the legs/feet, but not always.

Now what to do next?

You should have rest.

Especially avoid prolonged sittings. And lie down flat between the intervals.

Do not exercise, it will make the condition worse. However, gentle stretching of the back will help.

Gentle massage of the back.

And if the problem persists, you can use a muscle relaxant like Tizanidine or Orphenadrine for few days.

Heat application is also one of the best muscle relaxants, so there is no harm in giving this a trial.

With these measures, hopefully this problem will settle down in few weeks, completely. And if this does not, then you have to get an X-ray/MRI of the spine done; may be this is not a simple spasm of muscles and MRI will detect Pinched Nerve.

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.