Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Phil, Yesterday i began to notice soreness on the left side

Hey Doctor Phil,Yesterday i began...
Hey Doctor Phil,Yesterday i began to notice soreness on the left side of my neck/throat. It's towards the front, toward my throat but only on the left side. I've noticed this type of soreness before, it's comes and goes.It's only really sore when I touch or push on the spot. It's somewhat noticeable when I'm not touching or pushing on it but not terrible. When I push on the spot the pain is felt very deep inside the throat and neck.Does this sound like something serious or maybe just a muscle strain? I'm scared it's a problem with my artery in my neck or something else serious.Thanks for your help doc
11/24/2017
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

sorry for the delay.

it doesn't sound serious

it sounds like a muscle strain or your anxiety symptoms causing some sore throat.

it is not a problem with the artery.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
It's definitely not anxiety, the pain is very real when touched or when I move my neck in certain ways. It's a deep pain inside my neck. Could it be a thyroid problem?Thanks for the help

you may have pulled or stressed a muscle in your neck.

thyroid problems don't cause pain in the throat area

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Okay. But deep and pretty bad pain when touched doesn't mean anything serious?

it doesn't mean anything serious

you need to stop pressing so deeply into your neck

you are probably causing the pain yourself.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
It just feels strange, the pain is pretty bad.Any Way thanks for the help
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Since this pain is right in the area of the carotid artery, do you think it could be related to that
?

no, the pain is not related to the carotid artery.

it is due to acid reflux, or an early viral infection or post nasal drip. or irritation of your throat.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Through my own research I'm quite sure it's due to *****'s right where the pain is and it makes perfect sense, especially since I recently increased my physical activity which apparently can bring this on.Just to confirm with you, carotidyna is not a serious or life threatening situation correct?

it is not serious or life threatening.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Hey Doctor DavidToday my carotid artery is still sore to the touch. In researching carotidyna it seems pretty harmless but the other causes of carotid pain can be very serious. I'm concerned about carotid areitis which can cause blindness.Should I be evaluated for this based on my symptoms of carotid pain? I don't notice any blurred vision but my eyes were very dry over night.Thanks for the help

you can be evaluated

I bet you don't have pain coming from your carotid artery.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Based on my symptoms and what I've read it seems like a dead ringer for carotidyna.But, as I understand it as well, that isn't a serious condition and usually corrects on its own.I want to be sure this is a correct interpretation though, according to you

carotidyna doesn't need you to press into the area to cause pain.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I just read many scholarly articles that say the hallmark is tenderness to palpation.Also it is sore without being touched, but very sore to the touch

you need to stop pressing into the area

you are causing worse pain by pressing.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Bot***** *****ne--you don't feel this is a serious situation or a medical emergency? The pain has been going on for 3 days

I have told you already this is not serious.

it is not an emergency situation.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Thanks doc, sorry to be a painHappy Holidays

you are welcome

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician