Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I played touch rugby last night and noticed my heel was a…

Customer Question
Hi, I played touch...

Hi, I played touch rugby last night and noticed my heel was a little tender. I had stepped on a carpet tack about 10 days earlier and noticed a little pain then but other than last Saturday when I did a lot of working, it hadn't given me any grief; after touch I ran home 4km and while I was aware there was an issue, it wasn't enough to stop me running; however, I went to bed last night and it was becoming sorer and I have woken up this morning not being able to put any pressure on it. While it began with the tack thing, it now feels like I might have done some damage to my heel bone?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?

I stood on the tack about 10 days ago but this morning is the first time I have not been able to walk freely. No other issues.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing, I am healthy.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/23/2017
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Is the area swollen or red at all?

No, not at all.

I don't think you did any damage to the heel bone, based on what you said that's not something I'm worried about.

Likely you inflamed the area since it was still healing.

However, there is a chance that an infection from a tack can take up to even a month to show up but that's incredibly rare. I would just rest and not do a whole lot intensive and give it a chance to heel for about 3-4 days.

Why don't you think I have done damage to the bone? It is painful this morning and I am unable to put any pressure on it, what do you think I've done?

The calcaneus bone is the hardest bone in the body. The only times it gets injured is if you jumped from a very high platform onto a solid surface or in a severe automobile accident.

It sounds that you inflamed the fat pad tissue under the bone but again, doesn't sound to be the bone itself because there would be extensive swelling in the area.

Can you please explain the extent of damage I have done by inflaming the fad pad tissue? Other than rest, which I guess means as little walking on it as possible, is there anything else I should do? Pain relief?

I wouldn't use the word damage, inflammation is the same process where your muscle get sore after a strong exercise regimen in the gym. It's a reversible process where the tissue gets inflamed which sets off the nerves in the area.

As for pain relief you can try anything over the counter, ibuprofen would be fine for example or aspirin if you can take those medications. Icing helps, that should decrease the inflammation. Soaking it in a tub can help with pain as well.

I wouldn't walk on it for 3-4 days, at least nothing intensive, until it heals up.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Otherwise I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Dr. Mo

Please let me know if you have any other questions I may address.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Please click on the rating button when you're ready.

Dr. Mo